Thursday 7 January 2021

Dad

I remember how hard this one was to write. Losing a parent has got to be one of the worst things that has ever happened to me. He slowly slipped away from us over the course of a year and this poem was written as I watched the brain cancer take him away from us and he was no longer the father I remembered. It really hurt.

dad

do you remember the time,
when i grazed my knee.
you kissed it better,
patched it all up,
sent me outside to play.

another time, i remember,
you helped me with my maths,
i never could do maths,
remember?

then i grew up.
you let me borrow the car,
gave me away at the wedding.

now you are the child
needing help.
you huddle in corners.
you won't fight.

i never even told you,
i owe you one for the maths,
you know what i mean.


Copyright, February 1990.

C. Newberry

No comments:

Post a Comment

More writing, but not poetry

 I recently found fanfiction drabbles I'd written between 2003 and 2005. Most of the writing was part of a larger story that was a cross...